I also made another observation on their Facebook fan page. Upon the start of the voting sequence, they posted the finalist videos on their page to expose us to Craftsman's audience. Subsequently, its suppose to help us get votes. Among myself and the other 4 finalist, I had a noticeable least amount of Facebook "likes" and comments.
The Facebook comments and "likes" did not influence the final score but why was my video "liked" the least. Hands down my video was better than at least 3 of the other contestants. Still, my video was least "liked." Again, there is no point in building a racially motivated conclusion; however, this experience fortifies how important it is for a person considered as a minority to work 10 times harder.
In many cases, if the decision makers all resemble a particular racial group and you don't look like that group prepare to work much harder. When you finally succeed you will be 100 times as strong.
This contest has been one of the most spontaneous accelerations I've been apart of. As a top 5 finalist, this is the closest I've ever been. The positive side to this experience is I'm getting closer and closer to actually winning soon. The negative side is... Well... There is no negative side. By the time I publish this post, it will be a week since I received notice of not winning. As each day passed, it become more and more clear to me why I didn't win. There are much better opportunities in stored for me and they're developing as I type.
To learn about those opportunities you will have to continue reading my blog. For now, review parts of the Craftsman process that I left out for the past two weeks.
* Everything generally started with the creation of
Motown Maurice's Craftsman Screw'd Audition Video (Important must see video)
Day 296 Tuesday, July 12, 2011
* I was told several times to be expecting a call the next day but it took a few days for that call to actually come through.
* My desire to win the contest started to building up today.
Read Post: My Past Does Not Direct My Future
Day 297 Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Day 299 Friday, July 15, 2011
Read Post: Motown Maurice is Screw*d - Please Help! (Must Watch Video)
* As you can see I wrote a lot. It appeared as though I took much longer than I was suppose to. When I was done the spell check wasn't working. My article was then printed out and I made the proper corrections with a pen. Then I was told by one person that they would fix it for me later. They never did fix it because when I requested my blog piece through email, there was still a bunch of errors. I immediately complained and was told that I could fix it and resend. Who knows which version was judged.
* Just before I left I received a $250.00 per diem. I figured that was just enough to take care of my expenses in the community housing for two weeks and depart for Chicago as the winner of the contest. I made this assumption because I new the following Saturday would be my last day with my roommate.
* By the time I got home I received a phone call for a 45min long physiological test.
Day 303 Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Day 304 Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Day 305 Thursday, July 21, 2011
* After a day of collecting votes, I found out early in the morning that I was focusing on the wrong area. I thought the Youtube like button was for votes but it wasn't. The banner on the video was for voting but the banner didn't even show up half the time. I sent 3 back to back emails addressing how unfair and unclear the voting process begin. It took 4 days before they emailed me back with a so called apology for the misunderstanding. After a few hours passed, I realized that I wasn't getting a response and I decided not to participate in the voting process anymore. I wrote more about my frustration here.
Read Post: Peace Surpasses All Understanding
THURSDAY, JULY 28, 2011
Read Post: Voting Period is Over!!!
I know I'm worth more then these contests but I do it for the experience and because its an opportunity that could be used to elevate quest. I haven't won one yet but at the least I'm exposed to new people and I'm sure they will never forget me. There's always the possibility of them calling me back for something bigger and better. That's what happened with the Oprah Contest which later lead to a call for Expedition Impossible.
My Biggest Issue
The truth of the matter is these contests never really have it together as well as they try to make it seem. Everything was good in the beginning but the voting portion really showed me how Screw*d things were. They never gave out any clear instructions on how to vote or exactly when to start. In my opinion that is unacceptable.