Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 16 in L.A. (I Don't Know What to Do)

Today I attended a L.A. Casting Networking Mixer. Just about everyone who attended is listed on their website as an actor. It's one of the most popular casting sites out here. Some people have good luck with it, some don't and others receive a lot of background work only. All my auditions came from there and I've only been on it for about 2 weeks. I would say so far so good. The mixer on the other hand was so so. I didn't care too much for the bar environment. I met very few people. If you ask me, most of the people were more interested in the free drinks between 7-8pm than networking.

Basic view of networking mixer event.

As I stated on day 15, I have an audition with CBS today for the diversity showcase. The moment my agents found out they expressed their excitement for me. My agent Sandy called immediately and you can hear the joy in her voice. She said how happy and blessed I was to run into such a great opportunity, followed by many compliments about my personality and my will to achieve (Thank you very much Sandy). Cynthia also called and mirrored the same conversation in addition to telling me she recognize the name of the CBS casting director and that he is good.

The complete story about how I found this opportunity I'll share with you again tomorrow after the audition but for right now I'm in a dilemma. Below is the basic description of the audition.

Please come in with 3-4 minutes of original sketch or characters, similar to SNL, just be funnier, bigger... Having additional sketch or character ideas is a plus.

Most of you must be thinking this should be easy for me. Honestly, I'm stuck. I'm a mastermind of comedy video parodies. I know how to make people laugh in videos without a problem. I'm learning live sketch comedy with characters on the other hand is completely different. I have no ideas yet and this audition will be here in no time.

I know this is something I want to be a part of however, I doubt I may not be able to display my true talent at this audition. I know what you're saying, I shouldn't say "doubt." If I got anything out of the mixer today I had this long over extended conversation with this guy who was probably a little tipsy. It was one of those conversations when all you can do is listen and nod your head in agreement. Throughout the conversation he was passionate and appeared to be deep into his knowledge but I kept wondering the whole time "What is this guy talking about?." Moreover, as he gushed his alcoholic breath against my face he said one thing that really stuck. He said something like, "all you need is an idea and the drive and you can make it happen, but if have an ounce of doubt it can kill it all." He then went on talking about that ounce of doubt for another 30-45mins divided by some curse words here and there. 

Motown Maurice & The What Are you Talking about Guy
 I don't doubt myself, at the same time I wish I had more time and I was more prepared. Most people in this situation probably wouldn't show up. Since I am a man of my word I will be there on time but there is a chance I may not have any material ready. If that is the case I'm going to be straight up about it. This is definitely a make it or break, minute to win it situation. 

I will keep you posted with my results.

As the quest continues...

Motown Maurice

1 comment:

  1. Motown,
    What are you talking about...More time and more time to prepare? The way I see, you starting preparing for this in Tampa, Florida a long time ago! This moment in time was planned for you before this moment existed...Remember..As the gut was gushing down the ounces of Vodka, he said those powerful words. You Are prepared and the Time is now...Go get em!
    Penny in Tampa

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign