Monday, September 10, 2018

Week 416: Friends. How many of us want them?

Weekly Written Review 

The word "friend" is a very interesting word. This week I had an interesting back and forth email session about this topic. Here's an excerpt for that email.

In regards to my response below, take no offense towards my perspectives. I'm a very technical and/or literal about some things most people are not. So, I believe the word "friend" is thrown around very loosely on this planet. I try not to use that word as loose as others. I honestly see you more as a creative partner than a friend (which is absolutely what I prefer). Most of my relationships in LA are industry based. Of course, there's a byproduct of friendship when I'm around you or others I've worked with, but at the core of those relationships (our relationship), is creative business first. In all due respect, I am far more connected with you than a lot of people in LA. However, our relationship is still centered around creative stuff.

I've genuinely called two people in LA friend and that's because they actually put in effort/work to hang out with me with the exclusion of industry stuff. KB is one of them. Over the past couple of years, I've hung out with KB a lot without any camera involvement. Moreover, as I said previously, I don't consider myself a good friend and I actually prefer more creative/business partners in my journey like you. Maybe the structure of our relationship will evolve but for now, you being my creative partner is mostly how I see you and that's fantastic with me. Friendship is hard work and I'm not a big fan of too many friends anyway. Most people wouldn't want to be my friend because I'm a pretty boring person. 

Without going into detail about the person's response, I'll stay it left the person sad and offended. That totally wasn't my intention, which left me egar to clarify the situation. Here's my following response.

I'm saddened that my words have made you sad. That was not my intent. I care very much about you and I deeply want you to be successful & happy. My words were meant to be a compliment. I think the difference here is our perspective and value of friendship. I have very few friends and I like it like that. Friends often want to hang out, party, spend money, drink, chill, travel and engage in a lot of casual conversation. I'm not interested in any of those things. I'm a certified loner and I'm comfortable being one. Friendship is a lot of responsibility as I mentioned before. Which is why I've embraced having fewer friends. Among all the types of humans, I've noticed that friends can be the most disappointing when the going gets tough. Most of our interactions are very productive, insightful and often times strategic. I appreciate that and value that the most. Here's the truth about most friends. Friends love you for you are, not who you're going to become. In general, I would prefer to have a whole lot of mentors than friends. If I had to chance to connect with Oprah or Tyler Perry, I wouldn't want to be their friend, I would rather be their business partner or them be my mentor. Although things are much slower for me right now, my mindset hasn't changed. I'm still very much obsessed with my journey and completing the task at hand. So once again, from a technical standpoint, I do view you as a creative partner first with friendship being a byproduct of that. Thus, please know this is me being sincere. I mean that with no disrespect. I'm truly blessed and thankful for your presence in my life.  My mind views things very technically. Maybe it's technically unnecessary but I believe it's a good perspective to at least be aware of. ---------------------- This conversation is only mean to share a perspective with you. It's not to push you away, make you sad or uncomfortable. The other day, I shared with you a perspective on having "Good Problems." This is no different. You don't have to agree but because I care about you, I'll share a perspective from time to time. I think I'm older than you (I'm not sure, I have no clue of your age). As a result, I often make extra effort to share some of my wisdom with people younger than me. I want the same from people older than me. Take it or leave it. It's not personal. If you think I'm wrong, I'll respect your opinion  I know you have a lot of other priorities in your life but as far as our career is concerned, the more industry mentors, advisors and creative partners we have, the better.  Regardless of the title, I love you -----------.  Hopefully, this response clears things up.   Looking forward to connecting with you again in the near future.  One love, Motown 

Thankfully, I believe my last message cleared things up. Their reply stated that they understood. I'm grateful for that. I don't plan to further the topic of "friendship" with this person but at the days went by my mind pondered on a few things. One is how much power people give to the word, "Friend." Two, I actually believe because I thrive to be an outstanding person I have much more to often than "friendship." Whether you agree with my perspective/definition of "friendship" I should be judged by my actions. If you're in my life, I want to make your life better. Point blank period. It's very possible that some people might consider me as a friend because of my genuine actions but as you read, I evaluate things differently. Another thing I noticed is that I'll tell someone that I love them and it doesn't evoke a response. In many cases, its as if I didn't say anything at all. Most humans use the word "friend" very loosely but they're extremely tight using the word "love." I'm the opposite. Probably because I'm not human but that's a completely different conversation. Word to the wise, you can love someone unconditionally and not be their friend. No more talk.


Sunday, September 2, 2018

* Film audition. The notice came in yesterday at 6:30pm. It was a waste of time. There was a long wait and I didn't embrace the sides the way I should've. I messed up. Oh well.

* I found out Snowfall is on Youtube TV and that got me back into TV watching mode. I finished season 1 by the end of the week.


Monday, September 3, 2018

* Tennis


Tuesday, September 4, 2018

* Tennis/lunch with Kandace


Wednesday, September 5, 2018

* Sheball background work


Thursday, September 6, 2018

* PSA audition

* Rode my bike to play basketball at the YMCA but the gym was reserved for a safety meeting. I did my situps and pull-ups instead.


Friday, September 7, 2018

* Basketball

* Audition video sent


Saturday, September 8, 2018

* Basketball...I try to play basketball twice a week and Saturday my make up day.

* Tennis (1 Whopper)

* Double-dipped with two sports today


As the quest continues...

The future of Late Night

Motown Maurice

1 comment:

  1. (originally sent via text message)
    What I like most about the post is that it's indicative of your authentic self. And in your truth and belief, you're able to convey your realness without much offense. I agree that society uses certain words loosely and holds on to actions that should flow naturally. One of my colleagues who I spend the majority of my time with quickly became upset because I referred to her as my colleague. She continuously "corrected" me and was upset that I wouldn't refer to her as friend. It's nothing but an effect of societal conditioning and that condition impedes free thought and genuine actions. I definitely agree with your last statement. I do love people who I would never consider a friend. I believe that love, effort, support is intentional and that the intent is what inadvertently constructs a relationship, so the "friendship" that results isn't as important as the intent and the process. So yeah, for me... a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign