Sunday, August 12, 2018

Week 412: Great Host They Say

Weekly Written Review 

During my first or second year in LA I recall a few random people telling me I look like a host. Almost 8 years later people are now telling me I am a great host. So about a month ago a lovely lady named Vida asked me to host an event. I basically declined it because I try not to confirm non paying gigs way in advance. I don't mind doing them but I rather wait and see if anything bigger/paid pops up first. Fast forward to last week, Vida reaches out and tells me that they're still looking for a host and they really want me. Vida Ghaffari is an incredible person and it's hard to tell her no. I agreed and took on the role of awards show host. Now for the rest of the post, I'm going to be as friendly as possible. Saying that the event was a little unorganized is an understatement. I'll spare most of these details. Among the chaos but we got through it and the audience seemed to notice me as a huge part why. Before the event ended, one of the presenters took it upon himself to compliment me and my co-host. He acknowledged our ability to keep the event together and said I reminded him of a young Chris Rock. When the event ended, more and more compliments kept pouring in. "You did a great job." You're a great host." "You're really funny." "Congrats" I didn't get to enjoy all of the feedback like I wanted to because my bookbag was missing. Thankfully, we were able to contact the person who accidentally took it. Aside from that, I was the man for a minute. A gorgeous young lady even exchanged Instagram contacts with me. After a few replies, she stopped messaging me but hey, it was a cool moment while it lasted.

A few days later, someone at the event reached out to me on Facebook, told me how great of a job I did hosting the awards show on Sunday. Then he asked me to host his film screening Q&A on Saturday. Might I add that I've known his person since 2011 or 2012 and although he always says great things about me, he never involved me in his events/projects. He also runs a magazine in which he never considered me for until now. I accepted the offer, did my thing and after the event, more and more compliments kept pouring in. My favorite was from a guy that worked at the UCLA venue. My first interaction with him was our pre-event run through. After the event, he greeted me with big eyes and said, "You did a great job. You're so low key but on stage, you really shine big." I told him, "You just summed up my entire personality." Also, a lady that runs a pageant approached me about her coming up event. She said she had someone in mind to host it, but she would love for me to host instead.

The moral to the blog post is, wow/cool. I've never been a big fan of live event hosting. The reason for that is because it doesn't have all the television structure that I love and..forget all that. I'm entirely in my element any and everywhere. I'm truly grateful for these opportunities to practice my improv skills and exercise spontaneous comedy.

The most interesting thing is, the majority of those compliments came from people who don't realize I'm the future of Late Night Television. Doing a great job as a host is in my blood. It's what I do. It's who I am. It's the nature of this beast!


Sunday, August 5, 2018

* Hosted the Los Angeles Nollywood Awards


Monday, August 6, 2018

* Washing clothes...

* Low Spirited day...

* Played tennis. For over a year and a half, I've taken a bus and a train to play tennis on Monday's. I love tennis but the traveling is getting a little old. In addition, I've been enjoying my one on one tennis matches lately. Moreover, to still plan to play tennis on Monday's but I won't be as diligent about arriving at 6pm. Instead, I'm riding with my tennis partner Erick. He arrives a little bit later but that works for me. I got a free ride plus I get to save my transportation coins.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

* Marvel Runaways background work day 1. 6:18am to 8:06pm


Wednesday, August 8, 2018

* Marvel Runaways background work day 2. 10:30am to 8pm


Thursday, August 9, 2018

* Went to the YMCA to play basketball but the courts were closed for a special event. So I did my pull-ups and situps instead.

* Audition video sent

* EBT update

* Food 4 less pick up

* This Is Us audition video sent (Pharmacy Clerk)


Friday, August 10, 2018

* Ad council commercial audition

* Dating Can Be Difficult audition

* CBS/The Neighbors audition

* Chiropractor visit

* Long day but made it through...


Saturday, August 11, 2018

* Basketball...

* CHIKITITO movie premiere red carpet event. Q & A hosting...


As the quest continues...

The future of Late Night

Motown Maurice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign