Monday, November 11, 2019

In Memory of Marissa Hammonds (Sunshine Freespirit)

On Wednesday, October 30th, someone I know from high school reached out to me on Facebook. I don't recall her reaching out on Facebook before, so in many ways her correspondence was random. Her first message asked if I was available. I returned asking, "Available for?" Then she gave me her phone number to call. At this time, I was in Colorado. I was there working on a new film. I wasn't on set at that moment nor was I super busy but I also wasn't settled enough to get on the phone. To be honest, I was a little skeptical about the correspondence.  I requested that she input her message/question in the chat. From that point on, the conversation got weird. She wasn't sure if I was actually myself typing and I wasn't sure if that was her either. I kind of thought she got hacked and she thought a woman took over my phone.

Our communication wasn't making any sense so I left it alone. The very next day she sent me a message stating, "Marissa passed this morning. Service info will be on FB once set. Hope you're able to make." That put me in a state of shock and disbelief. I gave myself a moment to gather, then I called Marissa's sister with the number she shared the day before. Calling ensured confirmation with each other. She still wasn't sure it was me when she sent the news. We both admitted to a communication mishap which unfortunately made me miss the opportunity to talk to Marissa before she passed. She was trying to connect us because she knew we were good friends. I wish I got a chance to talk to Marissa before it happened but I appreciate the fact that her sister thought of me.

Marissa and I went to high school together. She was about two years younger than me and her unfortunate tragedy made me realize how important she was to my adolescence. Marissa was the first girl to genuinely like me. Perhaps at one point, she loved me. In return, I chose to like someone else that didn't even reciprocate an ounce of Marissa's love. On the first day of school during my senior, word got out that I had a girlfriend for the first time. The news devasted Marissa yet she remained a good friend throughout the years. We later attended Florida A&M University together and we continued to keep in touch post-college. In 2010, she assisted me with my late-night show behind the scenes. I believe she was living in Chicago at the time. Earlier this year, I sent her an invite for the upcoming 10-year reunion for The Motown Maurice Show. I had my fingers crossed hoping she would attend in January.

Marissa and I shared some great high school memories. Unlike the girl I chose to like, Marissa made me an inclusive part of her life. Before my senior year, she invited me to her house several times, I knew her two sisters and her mom very well. Marissa was the first person to expose me to the West Tampa lifestyle. She made me feel wanted. A person might take for granted feeling wanted as a teenager but now as an adult, I realize how important Marissa was to me. My confidence with women probably started because of her. She might have been the first girl I drove around in my 1985 Dodge 600.

The last time I saw Marissa in person was on Tuesday, February 26, 2008. I was living in Tampa, FL at the time. She came to visit me, I took her to Jerk Hut, we ate and she performed karaoke. She sang Jill Scott's "Is It The Way You Love Me Baby." I recorded a snippet of her performance and took some photos.

                                          VIEW VIDEO

Rest In Love, Marissa Hammond

Motown & Marissa


Motown Maurice & Marissa Hammonds
Marissa and I shared a lot of photographic memories together from high school but I currently don't have access to them. She was born on August 2, 1982, and she passed on Thursday, October 31, 2019. She was way too young and far too perfect. I don't know a negative thing about her. She was pure, genuine, honest and beautiful. Her soul was one of a kind. She always had a glowing smile on her face. Years ago my mom told her she had a smile like Gladys Knight, in which she did but only better.

Marissa was also one of my greatest supporters. She could've dismissed me because of the girl drama during my senior year but she was too great of a person to stoop that low. After searching through a few old emails, proof of her greatness is personified in her words. She took the time to respond to a mass email I sent out on November 2, 2005. The email highlighted a news article published about me.

YOU GO BOY!!!!! I knew you would break headlines....I told you years ago you were gonna do big things and your uniqueness and entreprenueral spirit is definately taking you places. You are just a talented man and I admire your ambition and willingness to think outside the box. I am so so proud of you. You started with a dollar and a dream now look at you! I've always been behind you...from your reign as the president of HCC (which I completely made a fool of myself in the talent show...just for you), your haitian restaurant ( I learned how to make plaintains), until now. I wish we had a chance to talk more, but I know you are busy on the move and I expect to hear about more great things from you. Let me know if you ever need my help. Love ya  

Ya girl forever,  

Rissa
-------------------

I responded telling Marissa, "I love you." I also thanked for her for the encouragement, uplifting my spirit, always saying the right things and for seeing things in me I never saw in myself. I called her my biggest fan.

In 2011, less than a year after relocating to Los Angeles, I reached out to Marissa and another young lady about submitting to a reality competition show. Marissa was on board with no hesitation. Here's our hilarious video.


While writing this post, it dawned on me that Marissa never told me, "no." She was always there for me because she was a perfect person. The world is at a great loss without her and so is my heart. She's one of the reasons why I'm working so hard on my journey. I thrive to make a lot of people proud and Marissa is certainly on the top portion of that list. When its time to celebrate my greatest accomplishments I want Marissa to be there with me as she's always been. I know she will always be there in spirit but it's just not fair. Marissa's passing doesn't make any sense and it never will. Her funeral was on November 9, 2019, and unfortunately, I was not able to attend.

Marissa, even though you're not here with us physically, your Sunshine Freespirit still shines brightly. Rissa, please know that I won't let you down. I will continue to fight every day in your honor and in effort of making always proud of me. Marissa, we need your smile to shine from above in hopes of making the earth as great as you are. From the time we met, you've planted several seeds in me and you helped me learn things about myself I never existed. Marissa, thank you for being a messenger and gift to my life. Thank you for all the great memories and for the positive impact you've bestowed upon me. I could write for a century straight reminiscing about our good times. I recall helping her with a history project about Motown Records during my freshman year in college. From that time on, she gave me endless praise about how creative I was. That fact probably makes her one of the first people to truly acknowledge my creative abilities.

Marissa, Thank you, I love you and I look forward to meeting you again.

In Marissa's most famous signature,

Love, Peace and Hair Grease. 


As the quest continues...

The future of Late Night

Motown Maurice

1 comment:

  1. Perfection...Magnificently written Motown. May this beautiful soul Rest In Peace 🙏 🙏 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign