Thursday, July 23, 2020

Week 513: Overqualified Once Again

Weekly Written Review 

On July 14, 2010, Oprah's camp emailed me their decline from her Your Own Show Contest. Later, I realized why I wasn't accepted. I was overqualified. Simply put, they choose inexperienced people for their reality talk show contest. 10 years later, on the morning of July 16, 2020, I was pending the results of a virtual pitch festival submission. I submitted my autobio screenplay (about what took place in 2010). Via email, I received an Honorable Mention. Not 1st - 4th place or finalist. I was meh about it. It would have been nice to win for a change even though I know winning means nothing. My pitch is really strong so I expected the best results. 

Later in the day, the winners presented their pitches in a live Zoom event. I attended via cell phone. At the conclusion of the event, I wasn't impressed. Not because I didn't win. Winning means nothing and it doesn't confirm that a script will get sold or made. I wasn't impressed because the presentations didn't impress me. 

The reality of why I wasn't selected is because I was overqualified once again. Let me clarify. Ideas are subjective and a script with an African-American male lead presented as a hero is not a reality some judges can imagine. Instead, they chose pitches that included slavery and sex. 

I'm sincerely happy for the winners because that's their moment. I've even reached out to one of the winners to extend my congrats. I want nothing but the best for them. 

This experience reaffirms the type of resistance I'm up against. Not only am I fighting to get my story told, but I'm also fighting to change the narrative and expand the scope of the world's limited point of view.
 

Sunday, July 12, 2020
 
* C&B Revisions/rewrites..

* Gaming...


Monday, July 13, 2020

* Preparing for my next pilot, codenamed, "R" for now. It changes later. TV pilot template. 

* Nintendo delivered my new/fixed joycon... 

* 24 dollar settle check game in. I'm rich. lol. 


Tuesday, July 14, 2020

* Miserable day because I couldn't find lets for my script...

* Message to writing partner... change...


Wednesday, July 15, 2020

* Happy Bday MaTown...

* Walking, talking, post-office, second joycon drop off...

* Renaming my pilot script from "R" to... starting to finally get some ideas flowing. I'll see where it takes me. 


Thursday, July 16, 2020

* I didn't place in ISA's Virtual Pitch Contest but they gave me an Honorable Mention. I guess that's better than nothing. 

* ISA's Virtual Pitch Event...


Friday, July 17, 2020

* Tennis...

* Brawlhalla tourney. I wow again. 4-time champ. 


Saturday, July 18, 2020

* My new script R changed to (H, F). Description development.

* Video chat/game time with LuLu. Ring Fit Adventure...

* Sprouts run...

* Rewatching The Avatar The Last Airbender... 

* Furthering an interesting Linkedin connection...


As the quest continues...

The future of Late Night

Motown Maurice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign