Monday, May 18, 2020

Week 504: The Case of the Vanishing Talent Agent

Weekly Written Review 

For the first time in just under 10 years, since I relocated to Los Angeles, I am without a talent agent.
Their Facebook and Instagram accounts have vanished. They have not returned my email or Cmail. My talent agency is gone and I'm actually at peace about it. After almost a decade of playing the industry's silly audition game, I'm ready to put that chapter behind me. Auditions have done very little to advance my ultimate goal. I was never good at it and I never will be. I had my share of big auditions but no big bookings came from them. 

When I joined SAG in 2018 my audition opportunities began to decline. On the bright side of that, fewer auditions eventually allowed my mind, body and soul to fully embrace a new creative outlet. Last year, I started screenwriting which is now my creative focus.

I suspect that the impact of Covid-19 took a toll on my agency. Since the world has been on lockdown, I haven't heard from them and I sense they won't be returning. I reached out to my first agent to say hi and they respectfully replied. I didn't dare ask them to represent me again. I don't want to waste their time. I didn't do much for them before and I doubt I'll do anything for them now.

Furthermore, I don't want to audition anymore. I'll be perfectly fine if I never audition again. I booked two feature films and a short film last year without a single audition. I need more of that. I desire a career with phone calls that lead to direct bookings. 

It's certainly interesting not having representation after so long. My first and second agents were acquired relatively easily. Rightfully speaking, most actors don't have agents right now because the industry is on hold because of the crisis. There's not much an agency can do without films being shot. Having an agent never really meant anything. For most actors, it's a security blanket. For me, it was more like a backup lottery system. Now, I'm in a very particular position. Even though auditions came with doubt, it also came with hope. It came with a possibility to break down barriers. Auditions also came with a lot of wasted time. I'm not playing that game anymore. 

Now, I got to let my words to do the acting and an abundance will follow. This doesn't mean it's going to get easier. It never gets easier. The difference now, I'm wielding a sword. The mightest of it's kind. For I am transformed and my voice is amplified. 

Sunday, May 10, 2020

* Buying turnips

* Watching: The Last Dance Episodes 5 & 6

* Mother's day...

* Discord building... Autobio interest...


Monday, May 11, 2020

* Autobio fixing and I was able to drop a few pages. Yes!

* Rewatched an episode of Breaking Bad entitled Better Call Saul. It was a reference check to the prequel.  

* Ralphs run...

* Watching: Pose. It's time to finish season 2. 


Tuesday, May 12, 2020

* Atarah's B day...

* Game stream testing with Raj...

* Cooking Rock Fish...

* Over the weekend, I reached to someone about joining my gaming community. He never responded to that inquiry but when he found out about my scripts he was very interested in that. I touched up my script today and yesterday. He read it on the same day and gave really positive feedback. 


Wednesday, May 13, 2020

* Walk...

* The script Lab submission of RAD. 

* Watching: Pose

* :-/ When you realize you don't have an agent anymore...


Thursday, May 14, 2020

* 1.6 mile run. Time: 14:44 my best run time yet. 

* Watching: Black Mirror - Striking Vipers

* Rewatching: Stranger Things

* Watched the finale of How To Get Away With Murder. It ended with a lot of unanswered questions but I'm glad it's over.

* Watching: The Last Dance episodes 7 & 8. 


Friday, May 15, 2020

* Payment for Barb...

* Garage stop, cat food run...

* Rewatching: Stranger Things...


Saturday, May 16, 2020

* Finished rewatching season one of Stranger Things...

* Brawlhalla tournament. I won again. This one was live-streamed by Gamor on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXXaTHLlZU


As the quest continues...

The future of Late Night

Motown Maurice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments fuel this blog. Thank you in advance for leaving one or two or three. :-)

Like The Future of Late Night Campaign